Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Come Home, Eric Williams...

Don't look now, but there's actually some Celtics news to discuss. Marc Spears writes in his "Notebook" column today that the C's are exploring the possibility of bringing back longtime favorite Eric Williams. E-Dubs is a free agent and averaged 2.6 points and less than a rebound a game for Charlotte last year, but I have to imagine he was the most intangibly productive 2.6-0.8 guy in the League. I love Eric Williams... he's a hard worker and a great team guy who always seems to make plays. Granted, he's 35, but I can't conceive of a universe in which even a 35-year-old Eric Williams couldn't help a team in some capacity. If they can get him for cheap I say do it. At the very least he's manpower when Perk gets into his first fistfight with Zach Randolph.

Also working out was former All-Star Kelvin Cato, desperately trying to resurrect his career. Nah, I'm just kidding: Kelvin Cato was never an All-Star. That'd be ridiculous. He is desperately trying to resurrect his career, though, and he did work out for the Celtics.

Aaaaaand, that's pretty much all I've got. Goddamn I need these guys to actually start playing basketball.

2 comments:

Tim Grimes said...

The day Eric Williams was traded for Ricky Davis was really the day the music died. Jimmy O'Brien vacated, and we haven't been all that relevant since. How appropriately cylical would Williams' return be alongside the C's sudden renewed promise? Too much, I say, and probably why they are leaning more towards signing Batista. Williams could be THAT locker room guy, though.

Anonymous said...

I would love to see the Celtics bring Williams back. Eric is one of my alltime favorite Celtics and players heading all the way back to his time at Providence College. Every great team has 1 or 2 "energy" guys on the bench, and this would be a perfect fit.