Wednesday, November 14, 2007

C's Invincibility Continues; Knicks, Not So Much

The Celtics continued the best start in the NBA last night, beating the Pacers in Indy, 101-86. I actually missed this game because I was at the movies seeing American Gangster (good, not great), but apparently Paul Pierce went a bit off the deep end (in a good way, I guess) after a hard foul from Jamal Tinsley. Pierce finished the night with 31 and 11. Pierce, Ray Allen and KG were the only C's to score in double-figure and played 41, 40 and 39 minutes, respectively. The return of Scot Pollard might result in some more breathing time for the hard-working troika, though I feel sort of queasy just typing that. The C's have the Nets at home tonight, then the Heat and the Magic this weekend. It's been said before, but we can't stress enough how remarkably easy their opening schedule is: the first time they play an honest-to-goodness marquee team is Detroit on December 19. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about this... with our lack of depth it'd be nice if more "gimmes" came down the stretch in the likely event of some injuries. But hey, 6-0 is 6-0; no complaints here.

As many of you know, here in these parts we've got an ongoing fascination with the magnificent clusterfuck that is the New York Knicks, and I'd be remiss if I didn't comment on the latest insanity coming out of MSG. Stephon Marbury has, at least for the moment, left the team. Last night the Knicks played in Phoenix without their confounding point guard, a situation which has reportedly left Marbury $180K poorer today. Isiah has this to say on the incident:

"It seems like he and I go through this every November, then a couple of weeks go by and we kind of kiss and make up, then we go back to the business of trying to win basketball games."

Hmm. Key word there is "trying." Honestly, that's just a weird thing to say on a number of levels, but this is the Knicks, and things couldn't get much crazier than this, right? Wrong! The latest out of NYC is a report from the Daily News that cites a source close to Marbury claiming that Marbury has threatened blackmail:

"Isiah has to start me," Marbury fumed, according to the source. "I've got so much (stuff) on Isiah and he knows it. He thinks he can (get) me. But I'll (get) him first. You have no idea what I know."

I'm guessing "(stuff)" = "shit," and "(get)" = "fuck," but others can take guesses as well. I'm not sure if anything will come of this latest twist in the Knickerbocker Chronicles, but this situation has officially moved way past "embarrassment." I couldn't be more intrigued.

2 comments:

Chuck In Brooklyn said...

The odd thing about the PGA Tour getting so many minutes is that our best quarter )in terms of points differential) is the 2nd quarter...when P-squared usually plays w/ House and some of the other bench guys.

Not sure why they don't give RayRay and KG a little more rest during the 3rd quarter.

But consider this - all three of these guys are seeing far less defensive pressure/pounding from opposing teams. That has to be easier on the body, right?

P.S. - Eddie House has really morphed himself into a modern day Vinnie Johnson, no?

Anonymous said...

haha nice borat quote