Monday, October 15, 2007

My Geekiness Is Getting In The Way Of My Nerdiness

Some of you might already be aware of this, but last week marked the launch of Basketball Prospectus, the newest edition to the Prospectus family of sports research and analysis. Most people who read this site are probably already familiar with Baseball Prospectus, but unlike its celebrity big brother, Basketball Prospectus will apparently be free, which means we here will surely be linking to it early and often. Seriously, this is a great thing for hoops fans, since for quite a while now the only games in town for serious statistical geekery have been John Hollinger and these dudes, who wrote the interesting-if-a-bit-opaque Wages of Wins a few years back. This has never made much sense to me: basketball seems like a sport where it'd be particularly useful to come up with cutting-edge ways to measure player productivity, since at any given time there's only five guys on the floor for each team, and chances are that several of them will remain on the court for the vast majority of the game. I mean, just think, now we'll have a vastly improved vocabulary with which to describe how much Eddy Curry sucks. And if you're one of those people who hates statistics, computers, etc., I think Joe Morgan's having a chat at ESPN.com in a few hours, though truthfully I'm kind of shocked you've even found your way onto the internet. Anyways, three cheers for Basketball Prospectus! I'll now allow you to update your bookmarks.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mentioned Joe Morgan, so I had to bring up this brilliant site:
www.firejoemorgan.com
It is only about Joe, but bad sportswriting/broadcasting in general.

Anonymous said...

I meant to say it is not only about Joe, not only about Joe... oops