Friday, March 21, 2008

Powe Boy

After my glowing assessment last night of the state of the team, let's get back into the brine. Glenn briefly talks about rotations today in the Globe, and his remarks are mildly alarming. What stands out to me is that Glenn still seems a little reticent in proclaiming Leon a lock for considerable minutes. This is a terrible mistake. You can make a solid argument that Leon should be the first guy off the bench. His PER is 20.5, second highest on the team. There should never be nights where he doesn't play if healthy, which is exactly what happened Monday in San Antonio. Powe should be getting all of KG's backup minutes, plus be on the floor some when KG plays center. Glenn, in short, should utilize Leon as much as possible.

Leon really has been remarkable. He is an offensive force, and defensively he seems to make a few standout plays each game. I can understand the logic of juggling P.J. Brown and Big Baby, but Powe deserves much better than that. And while Glenn seems happy using a ten or eleven man rotation, come playoff time he might be better served to give considerable playing time to only three non-starters: Powe, Posey and Cassell. While House, Baby, TA and Brown all will get minutes, none need to be guaranteed.

4 comments:

Hamilton said...

I think he'll play a ton down the stretch; I mean, after the New Orleans game we only have one game left against a team with a .500 record (the sizzlin' 34-33 Wizards). I think we're going to start seeing a LOT of games where KG, Pierce and Ray play 20-25 minutes, leaving scads of time for the likes of Leon. SCADS, I tell you.

Tim Grimes said...

It's the playoffs I'm worried about.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-digital-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more with your "Powe Boy" blog. What Powe does without any assurances from Rivers as to playing time is amazing. Maybe Rivers is trying to motivate Powe i.e don't play him against the Spurs and then he goes for 21 against Houston. I don't know but the lack of respect Powe gets from Rivers might see Powe leaving after next year, if he can get enough time to showcase his talents this year. And I wouldn't blame Powe a bit if he left for a team that would utilize him.