Thursday, December 6, 2007

Sexy Girl

A little anecdote from last Thursday's Celtics-Knicks debacle:

After the clock ran down, The Brick and I went across the street to The Greatest Bar and found our way to the third floor where a friend was drinking his face off. Said friend bought me a Bud and a group of us hung out drinking and discussing the game.

A few minutes later a rather large gentleman in an orange flowered shirt (he looked like the lead singer of Smash Mouth, but 50 pounds heavier) comes over to me. "You don't remember me, but I know who you are," he says. All right. After a brief exchange, he announces, "I'm good friends with your manager." Okay.

I don't have a manager. Although I can kick a rhyme better than anyone I've ever met personally, hip-hop is not my profession. But the guy knew my name (Sean) and said I had played his club in the Hamptons a couple summers ago. I've never been to the Hamptons. I've been to New York 3 times in my whole life. I'm thinking someone in the bar is playing a practical joke on me. But the guy was adamant. He looked me straight in the face and goes "You might not remember...but I know you. I wouldn't lie to you." He put his hand on my shoulder and pressed me against the wall. I'm 6 foot 4 and about 210 pounds and I noticed how strong this guy was.

Just as I thought something very weird was about to go down, the guy backs off and starts name dropping other rappers I should know. Guys that have played his "club." Then he starts talking about this great reggae guy that I'm supposed to be friends with - Redd Cat. "He has this song, you know it - 'Sexy Girl.' You know how it goes - sexy giirrrrlll..." The big guy starts dancing and singing his version of the chorus: "sexy giirrrrlll." What a mess. You had to see this mess.

By this point, Brick comes in for the save and says "why don't you give Sean your card and he'll call you the next time he's in the Hamptons." The guy goes through his wallet but can't find his card. Then he announces he's "gotta take a piss." I got the hell outta there before the night got any weirder.

The next day, Brick calls me and says, "did you see Sports Center? Your guy Redd Cat was on Sports Center." Indeed he was. And on the TNT postgame. And in the Daily News. Thanks to the Sports Guy for the update today on my old friend. Sexy giirrrrlll.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ed Barnes strikes again. Nice shirt.